I have always been fascinated by the idea of a PhD. in Value Investing.
I will try to outline a process that I feel is no short of a Ph.D.
I welcome comments and feedback on the same.
Books to Read.
Book summaries of most of them available on the website
- Seeking Wisdom
- Skin In The Game
- This Will Make You Smarter
- The Black Swan
- The Little Book That Builds Wealth
- Security Analysis (Summary Not Available)
- Poor Charlie’s Almanack
- The Warren Buffet Way
- Little Book Of Valuation
- A Masterclass with Super Investors
- Essay’s of Warren Buffet: Lessons for Corporate America
- One Up on Wall Street
- Margin of Safety
- Intelligent Investor
- The Joy’s of Compounding (Summary Not Available)
Opening a Demat Account
- Buy 1 share each of 50 stocks. This is going to be the only cost of knowledge for the next 5 years.
- These should only be companies you love. No company should be a recommendation of your friend, relative, broker or any analyst or advisor.
- Whatever the outcome, they are not to be sold for 5 years. This is how long it takes to get a Ph.D.
- Learn Fundamental Analysis, Ratio Analysis, Financial Shenanigans on the go and analyze every document these companies produce for the exchanges and the public.
- Learn from your mistakes over the 5 years and laugh at the errors and carefully note them down. You are still in school
- Double-check your winners and see if it was luck, patience or calculative investing.
- Noone can win overnight. But over time, towards the completion of your Ph.D., you will be able to get a grasp of your circle of competence.
- One can invest the corpus in debt and index funds in the ratio of his/her risk profile for the five years while the Ph.D. is being completed.
- Read and reread the investor interviews on the website to gain insights on how known investors invest.
- Go through the various book summaries on the website to enhance your knowledge bank.
- Read the books listed on the website whose book summaries are not yet available.
- See the various videos on the Youtube Channels listed on the website and learn from the best.
- I have listed down a lot of good blogs on my website. You don’t have to read all of them. But to ignore all of them would be a grave mistake.
- Use the links such as the News Sources, Portfolio Management Tools, Research Tools, etc. on our listing site to further strengthen your analysis and scrutiny of companies.
- Attend the free courses whose links have been made available on the website and if pocket permits attend the paid ones as well.
Your Ph.D. Pedagogy
I don’t want to goto Heaven, all I want is to know where and when I am going to die and if I will be going to Hell
This process will not give you a fancy Ph.D. degree at the end of 5 years. This process will also not make you a millionaire overnight.
What it will do is overtime, and if done right, it put you ahead of most of the people out there.